1. Roman Bathhouse back to map
The earliest known Roman occupation lasted about 30 years from about AD140–142, during the reign of Emperor Antoninus Pius. It was re-occupied during the reign of the Emperor Septimus Severus. The notice boards on the
site contain more complete information. The bathhouse has now been covered up with earth to protect it from the weather and none of it can be seen.
2. Roman Fort back to map
See the notice boards on the site.
3. Cramond Tower back to map
Earliest reference as the 15th century tower of the Bishops of Dunkeld. Used as basic part of their earliest house by the Cramond lairds (until the 1680s). Lay derelict from then until rehabilitated in 1979 as a family home.
4. Cramond House back to map
The central portion was built in the 1680s as the laird’s next house. In 1778 a classical front was added, while the back was added in 1820.to make the final imposing mansion. Queen Victoria visited while at Holyrood. It is claimed as a possible original of R. L. Stevenson’s “House of Shaws”.
5. Cramond Kirk back to map
Built on the Principia of the Roman Fort. (Note the Roman stones built into the Kirk walls) Tower and east end are basically medieval. Main construction for Presbyterian worship was made in 1656.
6. Kirkyard back to map
Many interesting gravestones, especially:
- Howison family, descendants of legendary Jock Howison (S.E. corner of the Kirk)
- Sir James Hope, founder of Hopetoun family, whose rhyming epitaph alludes to his working of Leadhills mines (south side of the Kirk).
- Iron tombstones, mostly of the Cadells, who owned the iron mills (e.g. S.E. corner of the graveyard).
7. Manse back to map
Originally considered to be built 1649 but rebuilt c.1745, about the time of the “enclosure“ of the Glebe. Raeburn’s “Skating Minister”, the Reverend Walker, lived here (1776-1784). North wing added c1770 and south wing added in 1857.
8. Old Village back to map
Typical late 18th century housing, though part of Cramond Inn is older. The part destroyed in the “clearance” of 1826 stood to the east of the road.(Note traces of doorway and window in the wall above Cramond Inn).
Main 18th century inn was at the riverside at the S.W end of the village, with cellars and maltings behind, and an innyard in the square behind that. Doubtless the original of Stevenson’s “University of Cramond” in St. Ives. The Maltings is now used as an exhibition centre by Cramond Heritage Trust.
9. Old Schoolhouse back to map
Built 1778 when Glebe Road was made. Upstairs was schoolmaster’s family, downstairs 70–80 pupils at all stages. Used as school ‘till 1875.
10. Docks for Craigiemill quarry back to map
Three silted up docks, part of Craigiemill quarry transport system; linked to the quarry by tramway.
11. Site of Cockle Mill back to map
Office building still stands; mill was in front where grass area now is. Remains of storehouses, wharf, ruined dam, workers’ houses and manager’s house up the hill can still be seen. Going up river, note that the bank has been levelled to take the tramway line; also note iron slag in the river.
12. Fairafar or Niddry Mill back to map
Mill dam and ruins of the forge building remain. Scrape marks on exterior S.W. wall mark position of mill wheel which worked the trip hammer. Traces of Peggies Mill and Dowies Mill are visible further up river.