Cramond Heritage Trust
In 1978 the Association formed the Cramond Heritage Trust to encourage the preservation and improvement of features of natural and historical interest within the Association's area. The Trust is based at the Maltings on the Cramond foreshore and is acknowledged to be a splendid local museum. It is also home to an extensive archive which is widely known and consulted.
Cramond Heritage Trust maintains an exhibition and education centre in the Maltings, Riverside, Cramond. This is open between 2 and 5 pm every Saturday and Sunday from April to September. It is also open every day, at these times, during the Edinburgh Festival.
The Maltings can also be opened at other times by prior arrangement with Cramond Heritage Trust. Knowledgeable guides are available to take organised parties - including school groups - for guided walks. The Trust's main historical topics are:
The Roman Fort
Built as an outlier of the Antonine wall (c.142A.D.), the fort became a base for the campaigns in the north by Septimius Severus (208 A.D.) and was occupied even later. Notice boards erected throughout the site provide further insight into the Roman occupation.
The 18th Century Village
The Kirk, Kirkyard, Manse, Tower, Glebe, school, village houses and lairds' mansion and grounds add up to an exceptionally complete picture of an 18th century Scottish village. Four successive homes of the lairds show architectural developments and indicate increasing prosperity of the landowners. This went with increasing separation from the people, culminating in 1826 in the destruction of half the village in a clearance to 'improve' the estate.
The Iron Mills
Between 1752 and 1860, a range of products such as nails and shovels were produced in a riverside “black country”. You can still see two of the four water driven mills with their lades, connecting tramway and a wharf. Workers lived in tied cottages beside the lower and upper mills and the managing director could oversee everything from his house up on the hill. The mills were owned by Carron Company (1759-1771) and by Cadell family (1771-1860).